Monday, August 16, 2010

The Journey of 13,193-feet Starts with One Step

It happened.  I traversed a large mountain on two bottles of water and a camelback.  There are some things in this blog that are made up and some that aren't, but it's your job to figure it out. Anyway, the consolation prize was a natural hot spring, which really was the size of a small hot tub. Either way, it was still refreshing.  The trick, though, was walking back.  My right thigh and knee cramped repeatedly and I was down to only 12 ounces of water with 8.5 miles to go.  To make matters worse there were massive thunderstorms, coupled with hail and strong winds.  All hope seemed lost, but I persevered.  On the way down, my leg felt as though it was stabbed, but the cold from the rain and the night overtaking us made it worse. 

As my party marched on I was overtaken by a band of eagles. As I fended them off I knew I was in real trouble, because a bear came out of nowhere to take me on.  I poked him in the eyes and kicked him so hard I ripped into his body, spilling all his intestines. 

I finished the march, dehydrated, patience tested, character strengthened.  For a few moments on the mountain (Mount Conundrum) I was about to call it quits, but I dug deep and said to the mountain, "You will not take me today!"  And thus, it didn't, and I beat it. Nature threw all it had at me, but I fought back.  No cramp, pain, or soreness prevented me from finishing my task. 

No comments:

Post a Comment